I started playing with a marker pen last month and have been posting a series of portraits to instagram. These are a collection of some of my September/October submissions. Some are actual subjects while a few were made up in my head.
If interested in the process, here it is:
- I sketch the image out on paper with a pencil.
- I run over the lines with a black marker pen and fill in the shades.
- I take my handy iphone 4 and snap a quick photo then import the image into Photoshop, clean up the lines here and there, remove color where I wanted white and give the black a nice even fill across the image.
- I copy and paste the image into illustrator and use the trace feature. I prefer the black & white logo setting.
- Once outlined, I color portions here and there till I go the look I desire.
- The final step is adding a nice pattern for the background. Some of the images I draw the patterns in the initial sketch.